Update @ 2013-8-25: You can consider Whatsapp Plus as suggested by harish.
Update @ 2012-11-13: Anyone could confirm the following solution work or not?
WhatsApp requires a SIM-Card. I know from various xda-developers discussions, that it’s easier to do a backup from whatsapp on your phone with titanium backup, and then restore it inside your VM. But, the message database is local and messages are not synced across identical accounts.
Update @ 2012-9-23: This maybe a temporary workaround but only for people who already running whatsapp with his device.
WhatsApp Web Client
Update @ 2012-08-07: I have tried on both BlueStacks and Android emulator. Both of them have connection problem. Seems the Whatsapp server somehow blocked the verification. Currently seems no way to run Whatsapp on PC. =.=
Would that be a proxy problem? Anyone could complete the verification?
Since i dun have a smart phone~ My friend Simon blames me as he can’t reach me with WhatsApp. So he sent me a Taiwan blog post about using WhatsApp in PC and now i translate the steps in English.
1. Download and install the Java SDK. (Download Java 7)
2. Download the Android SDK @ Android Developer
3. Extract the Android SDK and run the SDK Manager.exe
4. It may take some time to fetch the repositories. When it is done. Install the following packages as shown in the picture.
- Android SDK Tools
- Android SDK Platform-tools
- SDK Platform 2.2
- Samples for SDK 2.2
- Google APIs by Google Inc.
- Google USB Driver Package
- I also tried to run in in SDK 4.0.3. But when i run the WhatsApp.apk, it will show the Unfortunately, process android.process.media has stopped error.
- I also tried other values in the Target field when creating the AVD, ex. GALAXY TAB Addon and Android 2.2 – API Level 8, but none of them works. You will get Application is not installed.
5. After the above packages are installed. Close the SDK Manager.exe.
6. Now, run the AVD Manager.exe.
9. After the AVD has completed the boot, search WhatsApp in the Google search bar and install it.
13. The phone with the above number will receive a SMS for verification. It may take several minutes so be patient. But even after you have received the SMS, you could not enter it until the count down ends.