MAMP is Apache, MySQL and PHP runs on Mac. For Mac users, it is very convenient to use the MAMP package such that they don’t need to install the those application one by one. Moreover, MAMP package also bundled with some other useful programs as well as libraries such as phpMyAdmin and the PHP GD library. For more information, you can refer to the MAMP website.
During the installation, you can include the MAMP control panel into you Mac Dashboard. This is quite helpful for you to start and stop the server. you can also pick either PHP4 or PHP5 by switching to the back panel by clicking the i button which is located under the Apache label on the front panel.
After the installation, you can start building you web application. Here are some points to note
- The default Apache and MySQL port is 8888 and 8889 respectively.
- The Apache webroot is located at /Applications/MAMP/htdocs and the corresponding url is http://localhost:8888/.
- Configuration files can be found in /Applications/MAMP/conf
- MAMP web admin interface: http://localhost:8888/MAMP/
- Run MySQL command: /Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql –host=localhost -uroot -proot
Reference: MAMP website