There was a DoS attack on wordpress.com in early March 2011 and i had no way to access the Eureka! blog in Hong Kong. so i setup a proxy server in my Linode VPS to manage my blog. This post shows you the installation of Squid server in Ubuntu.
1. Install the Squid server thru apt-get
- sudo apt-get install squid
2. Backup the default squid.conf
- cp /etc/squid/squid.conf /etc/squid/squid.conf.bak
3. Add the following settings in squid.conf
# Name of the proxy server visible_hostname ykyuen.wordpress.com # Setup the webmaster email cache_mgr email@example.com # Basic cache and memory settings # Adjust the values as what you need cache_mem 32 MB cache_swap_low 90 cache_swap_high 95 maximum_object_size_in_memory 4096 KB ipcache_size 4096 ipcache_low 90 ipcache_high 95 fqdncache_size 4096
4. Restart the Squid server
- sudo /etc/init.d/squid restart
Your proxy server is up!